Monday, January 18, 2010

Travailing For Haiti: Combining Prayer With Compassion


What do you when prayer is not enough?

Yesterday at church we had our Haitian families come forward and lead us in prayer in the Creole language.  I wanted to to hear what the prayers and cries of mercy sounded like in Haiti.  I could only  understand some of the words only, however, I have never felt a prayer to this level before.  It was more than a prayer, it was a raw combination of intercession and compassion of the pain and suffering.

One of the words used for prayer in the Bible is "Travail." Travail can be defined as the intense application by prayer to the point of inward agony and pain in behalf of others.  What was moving was sensing the whole congregation move in travail together.  
Its interesting, one the most memorable prayers in my life, and I dont even know the words that were used.  Inward groans in the Spirit accomplish more that I could put together in my mind.  (Rom. 8:26) 

What do we do with pictures of vast amount of bodies piled everyone; reports of children in orphanages and hospital with no food.  These have haunted me all week.  Then last night CNN had a video of a woman in a room when the earthquake occurred- you see the shaking, followed by complete darkness, followed by frantic cries of adult and children trapped in the rubble and darkness.

What do you do when prayer is not enough?  Lets Travail for Haiti.  




No comments:

Post a Comment