Thursday, February 25, 2010

E4 Gen 8 & 9 God’s First Covenant With Humanity


I have always been intrigued by the fact that God makes Covenants with humans. Why does a God who incapable of lying (Heb. 6:18) make a Covenant or pact to keep his word? Obviously I don't know the answer but I can tell you how it affects my view of God. It reassures me that God is a good of humility- not too proud not to make a promise. It also comforts me that He will do all He can do to help me to trust Him.

The commissioning of building the ark began not with an order to build but with a reassurance of covenant (Gen. 6:18). God appeals to our sense of trust. What does that say to you about God?

What is cool about God's covenants is that He leaves with visible signs and reminders of his trustworthiness. In the case of Noah and his family it was a rainbow. The rainbow was also to the generations to follow (Gen 9:12), to you and me. A rainbow is a reminder; God is trustworthy, He keeps his word, he remembers his promises.

We are going to need reminders in our journey of faith. I wonder about Noah and his family; how difficult has it for them to trust not just on G God's word but also (and perhaps more importantly) His goodness.

It rained for 40 days, but they floated around for whole lot longer. When you added all up, it appears that they were in the ark for longer than a year, 371 days to be exact! During that time, we have no evidence of God communicating with them. All they had was promise of God to keep his covenant with them, a promise that was made many years ago. I don't know about you but my trust level would had been severely tested after a week!

Dear Jesus, thank you that even you can not lie, you still make promises. Thank you for your reassurance, help me to receive your guarantees, help me to worship you with trust. Thank you the "new covenant" in your blood. A covenant that I can remember and taste with my mouth during the Lords Supper. Thank you that you are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment