Monday, March 15, 2010

E15 Gen 45 – When Our Suffering Converges With God’s Will


Isn't this the moment we never think we will witness? That moment when witness the convergence of God's purposes with our painful past experiences. As God redeems our suffering He not provides healing from the pain, but more amazingly He also ordains blessings and fruitfulness to flow because of it (Rom 8:28).

Joseph personifies this converging of pain and purpose. A victim of major injustices becomes the source of healing and rescue for his offenders. At the same time that Joseph reveals his identity he reassures his brothers "not to be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves... God sent me … to save your lives by a great deliverance." (Gen 45:5, 7) Joseph even concludes that it was God who sent him to Egypt, not his brothers! (Gen 45:8)

What moment, when Joseph is able to kiss all his brothers and weep over them (Gen 45:15). He is even able to talk to those who years ago could not say a kind for to him (Gen. 37:4). 
In kissing, weeping and talking with them Joseph is sharing his healing with them. He is hoping that they too have a convergence.  Their convergence will be different but just as important; a place where the pain they caused meets God's purpose. Joseph even encourages them not to argue about this matter anymore (Gen 45:25).

Thank God, that he not only redeems the pain that has been done to us, but also the pain that we inflict on others. I must admit, I tend to wait for God to heal the pain done to me, more than the pain I cause. Lord, forgive me for this.
Dear Jesus, give the patience I need to see this convergence in my life.  Help me to not only seek redemption for my pain but also for the pain that I have caused.

No comments:

Post a Comment