Tuesday, March 23, 2010

E21 Exodus 19,20 – God’s Intention For The 10 Commandments

What did God want when He gave The Ten? What was His desired outcome? I guess the best question is, why did He give them out in the first place.

The good thing is that God reveals his intention for the law before he spelled it out. To God it was important for us to know why He was doing this. So before assembling the people of Israel to literally hear the Law with their own ears, God himself gives the reason for establishing the Law. God desires us to be His "treasure possession…a kingdom of priests and a holy nation." (Ex 19:5-6) God wants us to be his treasured possession, and for us to want him to be our treasure. Ultimately, God desires to be desired.

The Ten is how this God-desire is lived out in our lives. And in fact, with the help of the Holy Spirit this God-desire is we are becoming together (1Pet 2:5). God wants us to truly be His, not just simply try to behave like it. Doesn't the First Commandment sound like, "I desire that your desire me more than anything!"

We are told what God is looking for; us wanting to be what God is looking for, that the essence of worship! David summed it up this way: "I desire to do your will, Oh my God; your Law is within my heart" (Ps 40:8). David was bringing more than obedience, he was bringing his desire.

God desires us to desire him! Jesus, I desire you. Holy Spirit help me to desire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment