Wednesday, March 3, 2010

E8 - Gen 21 & 22 – What If God Asks You To Sacrifice Your Dreams?


For 25 years Abraham waited for a promised son.  God had promised honor, wealth, blessing and greatness for generations, but what he wanted more than anything was a son.  Abraham needed a son from God for all the promises to have meaning; God needed Abraham to love God more than his dreams.
Gen 22:1 declares this event to be a “test” from the get-go.  God is asking Abraham to sacrifice son and with him perhaps all his personal dreams and aspirations.  
I must admit, even though I know the end of the story, the request that God makes always shocks me.  Even more shocking, is Abraham’s immediate obedience.  The Bible says that Abraham got up early the next morning and got the process started.  I don’t know about you but I would have asked for confirmation from God before acting on that command. 
As Abraham lifts the knife to sacrifice his son the angel of the Lord interrupts and supplies a substitute animal for the sacrifice.  He also declares the purpose of the test:  “Know I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld your son, your only son.” I think God knew that already, but I am not sure if Abraham knew that he loved God more than his dreams.  I bet he has glad to find that fact out.
What about us?  Do we love our dreams, ministries, careers, family, more than God?  Pray that God will help you to know that for sure?  Ask God to test the sincerity of your love for Him?  [caution: that is a dangerous prayer]

1 comment:

  1. I close my eyes and say “I don’t understand but I trust You… [deep breath]…He knows my heart and my fears…Everything will work for His greater good”. But what Abraham did? Yes Pastor, I agree, “Abram is probably the second most significant person in the Scripture, second to Jesus.”

    ReplyDelete