Monday, April 5, 2010

E26 Judges 2-3 – Living Like We Drive


Don't we are drive differently when we see a cop car? Even if we are not speeding, we still hit the brake just in case. Is this how we live our spiritual lives? What happens in our spiritual lives, when we don't see the cop car? That is what this passage of Scripture is about.

Israel's leaders who led people into the Promised Land passed away, and now their children were living differently without their leaders. As long as they had a "cop" watching they were obedient to the faith, when there was no more "cop car" they sped towards their wreck (Judges 2:7, 10-11).

This chapter is not just about historical facts, is also a morality story. We read this and ask ourselves, if this narrative describes us as well. Who are we when no one is looking is the definition of character; and also who we truly are. This is the part of us that God cares about the most.

David, discovered that God was always watching, and came to terms with this ever-watching Father. However, he does not describe a monitoring authority figure waiting to "catch us on the act," but rather a loving Father who wants to guide us by His Hand.

Psalm 139:7-12 (NIV)


7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"
12even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful passage. I need to sing my own song.."You, my Lord were always there. Even when I did not know You or ignored You, You were always there. Always there trying to guide me...Shall I always hear your voice and see Your path."

    ReplyDelete