Tuesday, April 6, 2010

E27 – Judges 4&5 – Deborah: Coolest Woman of The Bible

(Disclaimer: Mary is the most honored woman- I don't want to mess with Jesus' mom)

I love the story of Deborah; true to her name (The Bee), she accomplishes a vast spectrum of endeavors in just two chapters of Scripture. Here are the highlights of her leadership:

  1. Judge of Israel (Judges 4:4)- In this post she led the whole country of Israel.
  2. Prophetess (Judges 4:4)- God enables her to speak for Him.
  3. She was a military commander and strategist (Judges 4:6-7) – and by the way, when her general, Barak refuses to lead the army, she does it herself!
  4. She was a songwriter and singer (Judges 5:1)- In her song she brings praise to God and mocks her enemies. You got to love a woman who praises God and talks smack to her enemies! (Reminds me of my wife!)
  5. She was a mother (Judges 5:7) - When Israel was in trouble, God called a mother to arise.
  6. Effective Leader (Judges 5:31) - The land had peace for forty years while she reigned.


 

As I write this, now I know why I think Deborah is so cool; I think I married one!

No comments:

Post a Comment