Thursday, April 8, 2010

E28 – Judges 6-7 – Calling Out Of Hiding

You just got to love how God calls different people. In Gideon's calling he calls him out of hiding into being a mighty warrior (Judges 6:12).

The circumstances were grim for the Israelites. They were being so oppressed by their enemies that they were living and hiding in caves (Judges 6:2). They were literally living in hiding. I hate it when I regress to the point that I am living and hiding at the same time- how about you?

I am glad that God calls us out hiding; all the way back to Adam, God has been calling those who are living in hiding (Gen. 3:8-9). At this point of his life Gideon is inside a winepress, hiding so his food is not stolen (Jud 6:11). It was in hiding that the Angel of the Lord appears to him. You got to love the greeting- "The Lord is with you, mighty warrior" (Judge 6:12). Gideon is hiding but the Lord calls out his potential.

Can you imagine the intrigue in Gideon's mind? "Mighty warrior?" "But I am living in hiding!" Yet, this is no ordinary angel talking to him. Can you imagine what the Angel of the Lord looks like? (By the way, this is a pre-incarnate Jesus) Its one thing for an ordinary person to call you mighty warrior; but, to be called mighty warrior by Warrior-God its got to transform your self-image. Jesus was calling him out of hiding and into his potential. And, you know he wants to the same for us!

Jesus doesn't stop at calling, once He calls he usually commissions! "Go in the strength you have, and save Israel out your [enemies] hand. Am I not commanding you? (Jud. 6:14)

Gideon responded to the call and he never hid again, in fact, he indeed became the mighty warrior that God called him out hiding to be.

Dear Jesus, call me out of hiding, reluctance, and hesitance. Thank you that you draw us out of our unproductiveness, meaninglessness, and unfruitfulness. Open my eyes to my potential, let me hear your transformational Voice. Like Gideon, I want to respond and be filled with the strength of your Spirit in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment